ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CALL YOUR MOVING COMPANIES 24-48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR ACTUAL MOVING DATE
Moving tips, checklists, or advice help you have a stress-free moving day. Most Vancouver moving companies bill hourly. As a result, any measure to decrease the time decreases your moving bill. These tips also help you to minimize your moving cost.
There are many moving tips or moving checklists on the internet. They help you to make your moving process more comfortable and more efficient. However, some of them that come first on the internet are fancy comments and advertisements selling fancy products. In other words, instead of helping you to make your move cheaper and more efficient, they might take you the wrong way.
Reading the moving tips of moving companies is more efficient. Most moving companies share their years of experience with you, and their tips help you minimize your challenges on your moving day.
You can undoubtedly find the best answer after talking to friends, family, neighbours, and relatives who have recently moved.
Another way is inquiring on social media like Facebook and Twitter.
You can also search and check out the moving companies’ reviews online. Looking at their rating is not just enough. You also should check how many people rate good and how many rates are weak. Also, it would help if you read the moving company’s replies.
You must provide all the details and the moving challenges for your moving company. For example, imagine you provide comprehensive information, yet you do not mention your piano. Then, on your moving day, your company arrives with no piano pallet.
In the second example, your loading zone might have height restrictions, and you did not inform your moving company. Consequently, they arrive with a moving truck higher than the loading zone. As a result, they should park in another area, and the time of your moving services and moving cost might increase.
It depends on the season and date of the months and the housing business.
Moving companies always are busier at the end of the month. Also, as a general rule, they are more active in summer than winter. However, in 2018, our moving company in winter was as busy as summer because of the housing business.
Therefore, it is a good idea to call your moving company at the beginning of the month to arrange your move.
Answering this question emphasizes communicating with your moving company. Generally, it is optimal to restrict the moving time, NOT more than 6-7 hours. As you know, the movers will not be working efficiently after lifting heavy items for 6-7 hours.
Most of the time, 2 to 3 movers can complete your move. However, sometimes, you might need more movers. For example, the move takes longer if you move many boxes and your current location, or destination, has many stairs.
We recommend you ask your moving company to attend and see if your move is complicated. After seeing your place, they can coordinate the appropriate moving truck, several movers, and other details.
- Inform your building of your move. You must notify your building manager when moving out of or into strata. Many facilities require the elevator is reserved ahead of time. Failure to do so results in hefty fines in many strata.
- Provide a proper parking spot for your moving company. Sometimes you need to contact the city to reserve a parking spot for your moving truck.
- Make sure the building manager knows about any damage to the wall or properties before the movers start. When moving, inspect the buildings with managers to determine all existing scratches or cracks on walls or floors. Sometimes, missing even one single small mark can cause trouble. We recommend taking pictures of these damages.
- On day-time-saving dates, ensure you are on the same page with all moving companies, especially your building concierge.
- Avoid any possible injury and damage to the pictures on the wall. Remove the images and paintings on the way, and remove the nails or hooks before your moving day. You can also ask your movers to do it first on a moving day.
Keeping the liquid bottles together is essential, marking the box and showing the direction with an arrow. Before packing the bottles, cover them bottles with an extra layer of packing material. Liquid leaks may make mark furniture or even cause irreparable damage. For example, if bleach leaks on any fabric couch, it destroys the couch permanently.
In Metro Vancouver Movers, we put a garbage bag inside the liquid boxes before closing the boxes. In the case of leaking, it protects the other items.
For example, it is better not to ask movers to move the propane tank. It is also better to pack materials like bleach well before moving or finding another way to move them.
Sometimes, you might get significant damage by moving that hazardous material. For example, if you do not pack bleach properly and inform movers about that package, the packing might leak on your new couch or cloth during transportation. So it is better to avoid sending the following material with moving trucks
- Propane tank
You might think about how to pack for a move? Or what is the best way to pack up your house when moving?
- Use uniform boxes for packing. We advise using our free plastic moving boxes to make your move easier. They are excellent, especially when you are moving in the rain.
- Keep the contents of each box under 44 lbs or 20 kg. Besides damage, heavy boxes tire the movers quickly and decrease the mover’s efficiency.
- Use small boxes for dense items like books and larger boxes for lighter things like clothes.
- Tape and secure all your moving boxes using cardboard boxes. Taping boxes prevent losing any small items. It also helps the movers stack, carry, and pack the boxes faster and easier.
- Moving boxes with coloured stickers make their move to the right place more comfortable.
- Pack fragile items like dishes with wrapping, packing paper, bubble wrap, and cardboard.
- Avoid using newspaper as packing material as it leaves marks on the dishes or items.
- Place delicate items in the middle of boxes to avoid any possible damage on the side of your moving boxes.
- To balance the weight of your moving boxes, pack clothes and fragile items in the same box.
- Sometimes people move small items and hire a moving company to move furniture. In these cases, try not to block the mover’s path by placing the little things in their way.
- Do not leave some items for packing on moving day. It wastes a lot of time.
- Movers cannot use their hand trucks or dollies properly for moving loose items.
- The packer inside the truck spends more time securing them to avoid damage.
- Empty the drawers; it is not good to leave some items unpacked inside the drawers even though the drawer is not heavy.
- In the new place, movers should move them many times to stay intact.
- Separate and remove unwanted items or materials. They make the moving process longer and moving expenses more expensive.
- Make sure you place the phone and car keys in a secure place.
- keep your pets away on your moving day
- Ask your children not to stay in the way the movers move items.
- Avoid moving your piano. Leave it for professionals.
This part of moving tips is one of the most asking questions in the moving business. Many different elements and factors may change the time of the moving process. The best solution is to ask your moving company to see your place before your moving date.
As we explained in moving tips, many factors affect the moving time and cost. For example,
How many boxes are at your place?
How ready are you? Do you still need to pack when the movers move the items or are you wholly done?
Are you living in an apartment or a house?
If you are in an apartment,
How far is the elevator from your place?
How far is the elevator from the truck?
Does the truck have a designed loading zone?
What kinds of furniture do you have?
Do they need too much attention to packing, or are they simple things?
How many items do you have that need to be disassembled and assembled again?
Is your elevator locked for your move?
You can control your moving time and moving expenses by making everything ready.